Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The Starbucks Experience

So on Saturday, I had a sort of class type thing in the basement of a Starbucks in town from 10am til like 1.30pm. Apparently it was meant to last for 8 hours but the girls who were doing it were sound so they lashed through it and we got to get out of there like millions of hours before we were meant to. We learned some kick ass shit, like that we're allowed to sit down and have the buzz with a customer for as long as we want if it's not that busy. That's so you can form bonds and they'll want to come back or something, but for me it means that I can just text my friends if it's quiet and when they come in I'll still be getting paid for hanging out with them. Speaking of getting paid for doing nothing, I think we got paid for that class. For the full 8 hours. Wahey. We also learned that you can get more of a taste if you can actually smell what you're eating, and we were told to hold our noses and pop a few skittles into our mouths, chew for like 10 seconds, and then let go of our noses. A huge blast of smell and taste came through, and it fucking ruled. I'd seriously advise everyone to do it. Anyway, we got shown a pretty cringeworthy video of how to be a good employee and such. I thought it would be pretty brainwashing, but it was just a video of how to be sound, I guess. Then we got educated on how to deal with assholes. This part fucking kicked the tits because it was all like "you have to stay calm and be nice to the customer" type of stuff, which is usually pretty degrading if you're in the right, but I reckon I'm going to love it, as it'll give the chance to be completely condescending and patronising to people who really deserve it, and I'll also get to write about it. And if that doesn't work, I'll still get to write about it. Wahey.
Since that class, I've been off work. I'm back in on Wednesday. I find it pretty odd that I'm completely indifferent to being off work for 3 days. It's like you have those gits that are like "Ugh, I'm off work for a while, what will I do with myself?" and you have those gits that are like "Oh whoooop! I'm off work for a while, let's go drink an unhealthy amount of bloody marys!", and I'm not really anywhere in any of that. For me, it's like "...Grand". I'd like to say I'm in the middle of those 2 extremities, but that would make me a git who loves both his job and questionable drinks. I don't know.
Back to the experience, I forgot to mention that there were like 9 other people there. A girl from the Malahide store called Magda was there, and a dude called Manuel who used to work in Malahide was also there. He's working in a store in town now. I was hoping to see some people that were being trained in for the Swords branch, but none of them were there. I'm starting to think that I'll be alone in there for a good while until some knackers in the pavillion ask for a job and then get hired. For fucking jaysus sake. But yeah, 9 other people there. Only one other dude from Dublin there. There were people from Spain, Greenland, The Czech Republic, Brazil, China, Mexico, and fucking MAURITIUS! I think myself and the other Irish lad were thinking that we got the raw end of the deal. Even though I burn like toast, it'd still be pretty badass to say you were from Brazil or Mexico or Greenland or whatever. I don't think you can get sunburned in Greenland anyway. Cool. Anyway, most of them were either training or transferring for a new branch in the IFSC. I really wanted to ask one of them if they wanted to trade for a move to Swords, but I wasn't ballsy enough. I rolled a smoke for Manuel and we had the buzz talking about the Fagans and our fondness of them. I've only met him twice (the first time was on my first day in Starbucks), but it's a fair old bad buzz that he's moved because he's a top notch dude. I didn't even know he wasn't working in Malahide anymore until Saturday. Ah.
But overall, I had an experience. I'm not sure if it was the one that they wanted me to have, but I had one anyway. An experience of satisfaction for getting 8 hours pay to watch a video and eat skittles.

1 comment:

Graham said...

So coming up to Swords to be a dick and see you deal with me.