Monday, June 23, 2008

The end of an era.

So yesterday I worked my last shift in Malahide. It was horrible. It was really busy and really packed behind the bar because Mike was showing 2 n00bz how to make the Frappucinos. It was really annoying that he only seemed to think it was appropriate to show them how to do stuff when we'd get busy in the shop. It was his last day too. I think people cared more about me, probably because I've made it known that I don't want to go to Swords and that I'd rather be there. He was just flat out leaving, while I was being pushed away into an unfamiliar territory. Just as I'd been getting to know the customers well enough to know who's sound and who's a prick (i.e. who deserves to have their drink made properly, and who deserves to have me pick my nose and rub my index finger on the inside of the mug before I make their drink). Although I've only really posted about the things and people that I didn't like, there have been an awful lot of really nice people that come in and make you get through your day a little bit easier. I guess they've finally got the minimal mention that they deserve.
It's really shit that I won't be working with Chris or Rita anymore. Mainly Rita, because she was like that dude in prison films that shows the protagonist how to survive and shit, if that makes sense. Except instead of keeping me from getting killed, she just showed me a whole load of shortcuts, which gets a thumbs up. With Chris, sure I'll see him all the time anyway so it's not that bad, but it's going to be hard to find someone like Rita in Swords because you don'treally want to risk asking someone how strong their work ethic is, because if it's really strong they'll just tll on you and you could get fired. Fuck that noise. I want to stay in Malahide.
Some jerk came up yesterday complaining about his cappucino being too foamy. It's a shot of expresso and foamy milk. It's a cappucino. People are idiots. We also made about 20 drinks that just didn't get collected at the end of the bar. How the fuck does that happen? "Yo, I'll spend a fiver on a coffee and then just not drink it. In fact, I just won't even acknowledge its existence." WTF.
After my shift, I headed off to the pub with Chris, who was also closing with me. We met up with Rita and then her friend and her friend's boyfriend showed up. THE DUDE TURNED OUT TO BE THIS GUY WHO USED TO BE A FEW YEARS ABOVE US IN SCHOOL. IT WAS THE BEST THING EVER. Chris bitched out of the buzz and left, but gave me his pint on the way out, which ruled, and then we stayed having the craic for a while until we went to one of Rita's friend's house. I gave her the key to the locker we shared and it got all Armageddonesque emotional. I probably should have done something of a greater gesture than just give her the nod. I'm going to fucking hate Swords. .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WHO WAS THE GUY???