Monday, October 20, 2008

The toilet bitch

I totally forgot about this one, until the last post just there. About a month ago our toilet went bust. I wasn't in when it happened (I was doing a closing shift and it happened during the morning), but I was working during the busy period of the day and bore the brunt of it something more than most others, as I was on till most of the time. Straight away there was an out of order sign put up and maintenance were called, so we did everything by the book. As everybody knows, the general public are the most ridiculously idiotic people on the face of the planet. People going to the toilet, seeing the sign, turning back, queuing up to order a drink, and then going "Sorry, is the toilet out of order?".........
Yes.
What else can be said? I hadn't discovered the zen powers of just being like "ah yeah" yet, so there was not much I could do but reply with "...Yes." It happened about 5 or 6 times, and by the third time I'd ended up saying "Unfortunately yes, but maintenance have been called and it should be fixed by the end of the day. The nearest toilets in the shopping centre are........." etc. Anyway, some absolute knobber came in and asked me if the toilets were out of order, AFTER SEEING THE OUT OF ORDER SIGN, I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW. I went ahead my little piece I'd put together and pretty much half way though me saying the word maintenance, she says "You know that's illegal, right?". Now, there is some legislation of sorts that makes it manditory for all cafés / restaurants / bars etc to have toilets, and we do. It just wasn't working. I'm sure technically we were breaking some sort of pathetic twig of a law, which makes her a pathetic twig of a person for pointing it out, but like what could I say to that?
"You know that's illegal, right?"
  1. Actually, you're absolutely right! Here's a phone to call the gaurds. Go mad.
  2. Ah sure I'm just about to have my plumbing apprenticeship cert posted out to me in a few minutes. Giz a sec and I'll fix the toilets.
  3. No, it's not out of order, that sign is there just so only people who really need to go can use it!
  4. IS IT?! LENKA! C'MERE LENKA! Here, this woman reckon's the toilet's out of order. What's going on?
Like I seriously think that this woman thought I could actually respond to that. Or that I was at fault, like I had broken the jax. Or that I could fix it. Or that I'd make sure it was fixed faster because it was against the law. I just looked at her, not knowing what to say, slightly agitated at it all, and I reckon she kind of picked up on it seeing as she didn't buy a drink and just went "forget about it". Meh. i didn't even get to tell her where the closet jax in the centre was. I hope she went home and told her husband that she gave some barista on minimum wage shit over a broken toilet, because most dudes realise that pretty much all women are balls to the wall mental and would have stood up for me in an act of solidarity. He probably would have divorced her as well, to be honest. What a cunt.

No comments: